Thursday, February 1, 2007

In this corner, Joe Biden, and in the opposite corner....

Everyone is all agog about Joe Biden's comment concerning the amazingly "clean" Barack Obama the other day in the interviewof Biden in the New York Observer. As my friend Elaine said, "Being a Democrat means never having to say you're sorry." Well, I suspect Mr. Biden is a teensy bit sorry now.

But the "clean" Obama hubbub is overshadowiwng a much more telling statement that Biden made regarding John Edwards, and I mean telling about Biden, not Edwards. I will quote from the Observer:


Mr. Biden seemed to reserve a special scorn for Mr. Edwards, who suffered from a perceived lack of depth in foreigh policy in the Presidential election of 2004. "I don't think John Edwards knows what the heck he is talking about," Mr. Biden said, when asked about Mr. Edwards' advocacy of the immdiate withdrawal of about 40,000 American troops from Iraq. "John Edwards want you and all the Democrats to think, 'I want us out of there,' but when you come back and you say, 'O.K., John'" - here the word "John" became an accusatory, mocking refrain - "what about the chaos that will ensue? Do we have any interest, John, left in the region?" Well, John will have to answer yes or no. If he says yes, what are they? What are those interests, John? How do you protect those interests, John, if you are completely withdrawn? Are you withdrawn from the region, John? Are you withdrawn from Iraq, John? In what period? So all this stuff is like so much fluffernutter out there. So for me, what I think you have to do is have a strategic notion. And they may have it -- they are just smart enough not to enunciate it."


What do you say now, Joe? You sound a little petulant, Joe. Are you a crybaby, Joe? I heard talk like that in the playground, Joe. Are your hairplugs bothering you, Joe? I didn't know Delaware was a slave state, Joe. Only Indians can go into a 7-11, Joe?

I hope he doesn't leave the race any time soon. He's so interesting.

No comments: